12.08.2009

"When darkness turns to light,
it ends tonight..
it ends tonight." -A.A.R.

I dig through my backpack and slowly remove a box of matches. Blindly, I attempt to light one of the 6 matches left. No luck. They must be damp from the storm. I crawl across the dusty wood floor, hoping to find some form of escape. I can hear something. It's the faint buzz of a car motor somewhere off in the distance. Slowly, cautiously, I make my way through the cluttered closet and feel a latch hidden in the side of the wall.
A sliver of light falls across my lips as I release the latch. I gasp for breath. It's been so long. I pause for a moment, my eyes riveting the terrain in front of me, squinting. I leer at the beautifully grim scene. It's ghastly chaos, so real. The light licks my hands and face and I feel the warmth of day in the marrow of my soul. How long has it been? A week? A month?.. I can feel the chill of the past crawl back up my spine as I recount the endless hours spent in that inexorable darkness. It took them, I remembered. Hot tears sting my cheeks. I'll never get them back again. It all seemed like one erratic nightmare.
The thick air covered me like blanket, suffocating me in my past. Beads of sweat drip down my frozen arms as I remove that shabby coat that had given me shelter all those nights. I shudder as I let the sun's rays penetrate my naked skin. It was all so strange. Why did they lie to us? A whole civilization left blinded by false hope. I release a piercing cry into the grey skies and fall from fatigue and shock onto the barren earth. My body overcome by the aweful truth. I give my soul to thee, oh lonely sun.. forever fill this world with your eternal light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones



i'm fifteen years old.
i have a gift
and one day i will use it to
change the world.

{8.15.09}


"A human being is a part of a whole. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty" -Albert Einstein

what you missed