6.25.2009

Girl's Camp

So, we went to a different camp this year then we've been going to the past few years. It had a much prettier lake and the cabins were closer to the mess hall. I thought it was nice even though the cabin was very small and shabby. Anyway, It was a great year at camp this year and I really really enjoyed it. I loved the program the best. I started balling during a slideshow of emma smith's life with the song 'how much can one heart bear' it was extroadinary the faith she had. I was truly inspired my that. Oh, I must mention that during camp a huge storm passed through the camp. So all the fourth years were out in the woods on a campout when we recieved a announcement that we all had to come back to camp because there was a severe thunderstorm warning. There were mixed feelings about the sudden change of plans but we did as we were told and took down our tents and packed up our things. When we got back to camp the storm started getting worse so we were all evacuated to the YCL cabin. It was about 9pm and there were hundreds of girls huddled together in one big cabin. We were scared... we didn't know how bad the storm really was. We didn't know what to do. So somebody amongst the huddled masses began to sing. It was quite a remarkable feeling I had, sitting there watching as each girl joined in to the melody. I almost started to cry it was a beautiful sight. Here we were- crowded, scared, hot, and wet, and even though we were in a otherwise gloomy situation we had smiles on our faces singing songs of praise to god. I felt so at peace. Pelts of rain hit against the roof above our heads but our hearts were filled with hope. A few hours passed and we were finally allowed to return to our ward cabins. It was amazing how much faith we had during those few hours together as youth. And I truly believe that our prayers had been answered and we were delivered out of danger. I will never forget that and many other experiences I had at camp this year. I will try to post a few pics later...

1 comment:

  1. Keara, I just want you to know that I always loved going to girls camp. My most spiritual experiences outside the Temple happened at Girls Camp. It is a very special experience. I am truly thrilled you have had the opportunity to go and experience that. Memories are made at Girls Camp that can't be made anywhere else.
    Love, Grandma Souder

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones



i'm fifteen years old.
i have a gift
and one day i will use it to
change the world.

{8.15.09}


"A human being is a part of a whole. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty" -Albert Einstein

what you missed